Bachelor of Arts in Arabic Language and Literature
The Arabic Department's mission aims at preserving and enriching Arabic Language as a written text and spoken discourse capable of reflecting the diversity and complexity of the Arabic/ Islamic culture and civilization. The Department is also determined to enhance and develop Arabic Language teaching and pedagogy in a sophisticated way in order to reinforce the Arabic / Islamic identity of the nation. Further, the Department aims to academically prepare a generation of graduates, holders of a college degree in Arabic Language and Literature, able to participate in the enrichment of the intellectual, cultural and educational institutions inside and outside UAE. As a center of cultural illumination and scholarship, the Arabic Department at UAEU supports multi-disciplinary activities promoting inter-civilizational dialogue and giving priority to genuine social values and moral traditions. In addition to a deep- rooted interest in Arabic literary heritage, the Department aims to build bridges with other cultures exploring new avenues of cultural diversity and integrating foreign language education in its curriculum.
- Developing students' knowledge of language and organizing modern linguistic theories that student studied them.
- Developing students' knowledge of literature and criticism and deepening understanding of the heritage ,Literature and contemporary literary and critical theories.
- Giving students the skills that would enable them to exercise good reading, comprehension and expression.
- Developing methods of scientific research and critical thinking.
- Developing love and faith to the homeland, nation, language and belief in the human values.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Form the structure of the word according to dictionaries and Morphological rules.
- Mention verbal changes, meters and meanings.
- Control vocabulary use grammatically according to language standards.
- Shape linguistic structures correctly according to grammatical rules.
- Demonstrate knowledge of modern linguistic theories in the analysis of the structures and detecting their implications.
- Explain literary text and revealing meaning, purpose and images.
- Show the most important critical issues addressed by the old critics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of modern theories of criticism.
- Listen the most important sources of literary heritage, rhetoric, criticism and their authors.
- know famous (the figures) poets, writers and their ages and literary production.
- Read the text correctly without linguistic or stylistic errors.
- Express orally an accurate expression of the meanings and purposes of the texts.
- Criticize the text objectively.
- Analyze text in literary and Scientific way.
- Explain the literary image revealing the elements of its aesthetic values.
- Specify the subject of the search to allow Innovation and creativity
- Specify the method and the plan that suit search subject .
- Use the Library and Network in obtaining sources and the preparation of the scientific subject
- Discuss opinions and views rationally and scientifically.
- Write search in a way that demonstrates scientific thinking and linguistic aesthetics.
- Provide evidences of the impact of our Arabic creativity in human heritage
- Express writings that shows the richness of language and its ability to deal with modern age.
- Demonstrate pride of nation, faith, and richness of Arabic and Islamic culture and Heritage.
- Collaborate with others to accomplish the scientific goals of team work research
Required Credit Hours :
minimum 120 hours
General Education (Req. CH:33)
Cluster 1: Skills for the Future (Req. Ch:15)
Cluster 2: The Human Community (Req. Ch:12)
Cluster 3: The Natural World (Req. Ch:6)
Arabic Language and Literature Major (Req CH:45)
Concentrations - Student must choose Language or Literature
Minors (Req. CH:36)
|Minor (1) (18 hours
(Students can either take Minor (2) or 18 credit hours from any free elective courses.) (18 hours
|Free Elective (6 hours